Thursday, July 21, 2011

Training for Marathon #2

I've read somewhere that you're not supposed to sign up for another marathon until you've forgotten your first. Well that's impossible. I try to take in the memories of Grandma's Marathon whenever I can because it was such a great experience.

I waited about three weeks to sign up for the Des Moines Marathon on October 16th. I've heard great things about it and I'm excited to be able to train with so many people. There's a whole slew of Freaky Fast Runners and the running crew back in Northeast Nebraska that signed up for either the full or half marathon - mom included.

If I'm intimidated by anything it's the thought of training in this heat. I've slugged through some runs in hot weather and it's been brutal. How I miss those snow covered February mornings!

I know signing up for a fall marathon was the right move for me though. Mostly because the word I use to describe my first marathon is "home". It just felt like home to me. Before/during/after the race I knew that this was where I belonged. Despite the fact that I was doing something I'd never done before I felt comfort. I was with an extended family of sorts and consumed by happiness and camaraderie.

2 comments:

  1. You are such an inspiration girl! I love being surronded by such wonderful friends in faith and fitness!! We must catch up soon! Love ya lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If there is anyone out there that can do this, it is you!! I wish I could run Des Moines, too!

    ReplyDelete